Are you noticing slow PC experience whenever you plugged in a USB drive or SD card and all folders are replaced with shortcuts? This article will suggest you manual methods as well as semi manual methods for removing shortcuts.
Note: If you are using manual method wherein you have to execute few commands then make sure that the system is clean i.e. not infected by external threats. Since the presence of virus will continuously try to write Shortcut virus definition to your pen drive and update pen drive with the viruses
Getting the brief idea
- The shortcut definitions are created in VBScript file (.vbs format) and autorun.inf files are also employed in order to modify the file attributes.
- The attributes are updated in such a way that in order to remove the virus, we should delete it from root locations.
How to remove virus from its root?
Remember: You should know the internal places of your system so as to locate the root paths
- Open any particular folder, hit on Organize button and then Folder & Search option
- Then you have to tick on Show hidden files, folders and drives
- Thereafter uncheck the Hide protected option
- There will be a warning message, just click on Yes > and then Ok
- Now you should open run command (Windows key + R)
- Open the system configuration by typing msconfig
- You can now observe the startup items in the system configuration window, take a glance whether you findexe or any doubtful .exe items in the command column
- Check the path of the virus file in the list and location column. After locating them, hit on delete option
- If in case you get an error like file is being used by another application then you can view the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Ecs
In the processes tab, scroll down to the process and right click on it for deleting it
- Now you have to act fast, and delete file in C drive because virus might re-initiate the task again due to which the process appears again in your task manager
- Post to the deletion of C disk and regedit, go to system configuration window and untick the deleted process > click Apply > then hit on OK
- If it ask for restart, then click on exit without restart
- Download the virus removal.Bat file so as to remove the shortcuts and .vbs files from your usb drive and system to ensure complete virus removal
The steps mentioned in this article will guide you with simple ways for removing virus shortcut whenever you are encountered with external threats problem. It is always the best to take actions immediately, else viruses could infect your system files and lead to system crashes. If that is the case then you will lose your access to data and should rely on third-party tool to recover data from such virus infected systems. Instead, act fast and use the steps listed here to remove shortcut viruses. This helps in safeguarding your valuable data.